Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Guided Reading

The Guided Reading Approach: A Practical Method to Address Diverse Needs in the Classroom

Schaffer, L. M., & Schirmer, B. R. (2010). The Guided Reading Approach: A Practical Method to Address Diverse Needs in the Classroom. Odyssey: New Directions in Deaf Education, 11(1), 40-43. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

The article I found addressed students in the classroom who have diverse needs, in particularly deaf students. The article mentions that deaf students typically struggle with learning to read; like many students who have diverse needs, it is important to educate yourself on all of the students' needs in order to meet them most effectively. There is not much research relating to reading programs for deaf students, but one school in particular chose to incorporate the Guided Reading Approach for teaching reading on a daily basis. Since this approach was implemented with deaf students, some modifications were made in order for deaf students to be most successful with this approach. These modifications included: asking students to read using story sign, pre-teaching vocabulary, and retelling in American Sign Language. Also, with this approach it is important to focus on small group instruction and allows the teacher to choose from any reading material. The tool used for assessment for this approach is running records. Once these running records were completed, then the students were grouped by instructional level. I'm really glad that I read this article because it is inevitable that I will have students with diverse needs in my classroom; this article has been very helpful to help me think about different perspectives and how to incorporate them in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Your article seems to be very informative; it appears to be a useful tool on how to help a student that is deaf in your classroom. I honestly have never considered how much of a challenge it would be for children that are deaf to learn how to read. You were write when you said that it is important for teachers to educate themselves in order to help each child reach their full potential, and this article sounds like it would do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an interesting article! I am so glad you found this and I am glad members of the class got to hear about it. Reaching ALL of your students is so important and teachers have to be very skilled in order to do so.

    ReplyDelete